Work Permits

Working in the Philippines

Any foreign national seeking employment in the Philippines must apply for a work permit.

In the Philippines, there are two kinds of work permits, both of which can be acquired through the assistance of PHLVISAS:


This is issued to foreigners who already have their Alien Employment Permit (AEP) and whose application for a work visa (9D or 9G) is pending approval. This allows expatriates to start employment in the country even if the visa has not yet been issued.

The validity of the PWP is up to six months from the date of issuance, in which the visa must be secured before the end of this period.


This is granted to foreign nationals who come to the Philippines to work for a short period of time. It allows expatriates to work under a tourist visa (9A), provided that the validity of the contract is only up to three months.

The SWP may be extended only for another three months.